The New Plains Review seeks quality creative works ranging from poetry and prose to plays/screenplays and music and short films.
Established in 1986, New Plains Review is a student-run literary journal published in spring and fall through the University of Central Oklahoma’s New Plains Student Publishing. Keeping with the university’s goals of both excellence and diversity, it is our mission to share with our readers thought-provoking, quality work from a diverse number of authors and artists. We receive hundreds of submissions from all over the world, and the authors and artists we publish range from well-known to the soon-to-be-discovered.
While we do not have any specific guidelines for style or subject matter, we look for written works that are thoughtful and compelling. We also accept audio and video submissions for online exclusive publication only. Contributors can submit multiple submissions, but we will not accept previously published work. By submitting, contributors give NPSP permission to publish works in print and online. Authors and artists with accepted submissions to our print journals receive two free copies upon publication.
For deadlines and additional information, please visit us at newplainsreview.com.
We are currently accepting submissions for our Fall 2020 issue.
New Plains Review is calling for visual art submissions for the upcoming Fall 2020 issue. This can include individual artwork, complete works, an excerpt from a larger body of work, or graphic novel. Visual Art submissions are being accepted year round. Allow 6-8 weeks for response.
- Submissions can be a self-contained work or an expert from a larger work.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions.
- We do not accept previously published work.
- Your submission gives us permission to publish your work online.
- Your image may be adjusted for print size.
- No pornographic content.
- We accept color images, but they will be printed in black and white.
Image File Specifications
- 300 dpi/ppi (pixels/dots per inch) resolution is preferred
- 1800-pixel minimum (width or height)
- JPG, TIF, and PSD formats are preferred
Include the following information:
- Title of work
- description of work / media type
- year of production
- Title, Oil on canvas, 11 x 17 inches, 2016
- Title, Pen and Ink on Paper, 10 x 10 inches, 2016
- Title, Digital, 8 x 10 inches, 2016
We are looking for audio and/or video files of spoken word poetry to be used only as online exclusives. Submissions are now being accepted. Allow for 6-8 weeks for a response.
We are also looking for short films no longer than 10 minutes.
There is no specific requirement for content, although material that focuses on thoughtful and provocative content takes precedence.